Thursday, June 23, 2011

Coral Reef Garden

I went on a bit of a plant shopping spree today. It was my inaugural visit to W.I.G. (Western Independent Growers).  It's hidden behind the construction of Marine Drive and at the southern tip of Burnaby. Just remember the acronym  B.M.W.  If you are driving in from Vancouver, turn left onto Byrne Road, right on Marine, and a second right onto Willard.  Assuming you remember that, then you likely won't get lost like I did.







shopping trip loot



Let's just say that it was worth the unexpected road trip. Upon my delayed arrival I was met with the most extravagant selection of succulents, echeverias, and aeoniums.  Warmer climate plants that work outside over the summer and can be brought inside to a sunny windowsill over winter. These plants are very surreal and remind me of coral reefs and underwater plants.   Beautiful shapes, colours and textures.  The prices were extremely low too.  I purchased two poly resin planters and the selection of plants in these pictures for around $80.   I also purchased a 3' pinot noir bell pepper plant for $12.  The plant is already presenting seven peppers on it.


beautiful varieties of succulents

succulents

I spoke to one of the owners (one of two brothers) and he explained that he actually imported all these exotic plants in from Australia and cut and propagated them before building up this collection.  It took many years.  The owner also got extra points because he's a proud East Vancouver resident and he turned down an opportunity to be on the Martha Stewart show because he wanted only local plant lovers to buy his product rather that overseas and mail order buyers. His passion and integrity is obvious. 


second finished container

W.I.G. also boasts an extensive selection of alpine, sedum and annual plants as well.  Throughout the nursery the plant stock was very healthy and they have some unique cultivars. I was really impressed with the Rex Begonias with there silver and burgundy foliage and  the large range of coleous. So worth the trip out there.  If my bank card allows it, I'll be back very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment